Welcome to my useful gardening tips blog
Here you will find useful tips on what to do each month in your garden. Before purchasing plants it is good to know that here in the Bay Area we fall into the 9-10 climate zone. Since there is nothing more frustrating and even heart breaking if plants don’t do well after all the hard work you put into your gardening efforts.
My gardening recommendations for January
- Check mulch. Add more if necessary for weed suppression.
- Keep an eye on weather forecasts and protect tender and young plants with some type of cover. I also recommend the use of Cloud Cover, a spray readily available at most nurseries or garden centers.
- Plant bareroot roses & fruit trees.
- Prune your roses
- Start asparagus, and artichokes and other cool weather veggies such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower.
- Finish pruning trees, and perennials.
- Toward the end of January cut back your ornamental grasses.
My favorite cool-season plants
All of these are doing really well in the Benicia, Vallejo area climate and will give you pleasure throughout the cool season.